BAILEY POWER PLANT
WS-NC | SEPTEMBER 2017
IMAGE COUNT: 1,448
(left mouse spins | right mouse drags)
Built in 1926, the Bailey Power Plant and its twin 14 story smokestacks produced both electricity and steam for RJ Reynolds Tobacco Company's operations in Winston-Salem until the structure was decommissioned in 1997. In 2010, Reynolds gave this old relic to Wake Forest University as part of the research park now known as Wake Forest Innovation Quarter. The plant has endured recent environmental remediation to remove heavy equipment and hazardous materials and is undergoing re-development for its next foray as office, retail and entertainment space.